INPUT at St Thomas’ | Week 1 | Day 1

Well so far things haven’t gone too well.  The two boys were off school last week with a tummy bug and I’m sure they’ve given it to me as a going away present.  I feel dog rough and I’m sitting on the train heading towards London Waterloo at 7.30 in the morning.

Having made it to INPUT, I met with all the group.  Looks like I have a great bunch of people on my course so that in itself is a relief.  I won’t be using anyone’s real names in my posts but I’m sure a few ‘nick’/’pet’ names will creep in.

The morning consisted of filling out questionnaires and a PT assessment.  My back actually felt quite good today so I kept wondering if they were looking at me thinking “what can be wrong with him?” Having said that, my back didn’t take too kindly to the ‘stand-ups’ and is already beginning to get painful.

We were also given the keys to our rooms.  Seems to be tidy and ‘functional’ and everything you’d want.  Not too sure about the view from the room. My room is overlooking the new hotel being built on what appears to be the worlds busiest roundabout.  Judging by the number of ambulances that went past during the first 10mins I was in the room, the entrance to the A&E department isn’t too far away either.  At least I’m not looking at “Big Ben“, but you can still hear the chimes quite clearly. I suspect that will make it fun trying to get to sleep.

We had our first “relaxation” session today.  Lying on a mat, on the floor, in pain, isn’t the best way to get into a relaxed mode.  We already have called these sessions “story time” and today’s was something to do with a “log cabin on a mountain”. For some daft reason, I couldn’t get an image of Julie Andrews out of my head along with the theme from “The Sound of Music“. All in all, not very relaxing at all.

Spent quite a lot of time in the lounge whilst we were all ‘assessed’ and discussed our medications.  Since I am already quitting the OxyContin/OxyNorm, mine was straight forward.

Am back in my room after the first day and I feel as rough as a badgers bum.  My stomach is going mental and I don’t think any of my meds were being absorbed. So on top of the bug, I’m getting withdrawal symptoms just to complicate things further. 

It’s gone midnight and yes, you can hear “Big Ben” and yes, A&E is very close.  Between 11 and midnight, I just counted 42 emergency vehicles. Somehow I don’t think sleep will be an option tonight.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.